Reclamation of lives, dreams and relationships through some of the following: no current signs or psychiatric symptoms, living independently, stable source of income, enduring and supportive relationships, no current medications, non-appearance of symptoms
- Problem Focus: about problems, not client
- Strength Focus: client-centered and strengths based
Sources of Personal Strength:
- Culture and tradition – stories, rituals, connectedness
- Spirituality or religion – source of meaning
- Hopes and dreams – guide to goals
- Personal characteristics – loyalty, honesty
- Acquired knowledge – work and learned skills
- Community – supporting connectedness
- Life lessons – what we have learned about ourselves
Community: group of people united around a common interest, value or location.
Learning Community: organized around learning specific skills and ways of thinking.
Critical Components of Recovery Culture:
- Awareness and Potential
- Meaning and Purpose
Self Efficacy: competence to achieve goals based on one’s own abilities rather than the competence of others.
Habits of the Heart:
- Nurturing attitude: nourishing others and asking
- Dependability: trustworthiness
- Responsibility: taking initiative
- Friendship: being as well as having friendship
- Brotherhood: extension of friendship
- High expectations: encouraging others to do their best
- Courage: standing up for what is right and true
- Hope: believing tomorrow better than today
- Connectedness: recognizing and strengthening bonds
Wellness Recovery Action Plan: WRAP
- Wellness Tools
- Daily Maintenance – momentum building
- Triggers and Plan
- Warning signs and Plan
- When things are Breaking Down
- Crisis Plan – more weight if signed by professional
- Post Crisis Plan – resuming responsibilities, removing supports, assessing gifts, how person has become stronger.
Services need to provide as much opportunity for skill development and/or resource connection and reclamation. Meet client where they are at with the skills they have developed.
- Skills + Supports = Success NOT Symptoms
- 15 years average recovery time
Circle of Courage
Medicine Wheel – The Four A’s